Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mountain Run Farm

Day 1. So far so good. I'm eating all natural yogurt with honey and granola (and was surprised to see how many un-pronounceable things are in my granola!) The OJ is all natural. I highly recommend Simply Orange - and would also like to mention that there's a $1 off coupon on Target's website, or maybe it was couponmom.com. Anyway, it was extra cheap this week.

So in my research I've come across Mountain Run Farm. It's about 45 minutes from me and they have a great philosophy on raising beef cows (and pigs and chickens). They're all grass-fed, which is the way it's supposed to be according to Michael Pollan - the guy from Oprah (whose book, Food Rules, I ordered last night). We really don't eat a lot of red meat, in fact I can't remember the last time I bought it, but I am willing to give this a try. Their ground beef is very reasonable, around $5.20/pound. I'm hoping to make it out there one weekend this fall before I'm in the mood for chili. Has anyone from the Lynchburg area heard anything about it? Also, does anyone around here know where to buy deer meat? That's a decent, more lean substitute for things like chili or taco soup. (Sidenote: I'm more than ready for fall and all of my fall recipes...and OSU football, and scarves and sweaters....bring it on!!!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you are doing this. Blogs are great for keeping accountability and just simply sharing the process. I wanted to let you know that there is a really neat Amish farm near us that has a site where you can sign up for their food - veggies, fruits, granola, meats, dairy. Anyway, it's called the Amish Horse and Buggy and I think their site is something like www.horseandbuggyproduce.com . My hubby and I haven't done this yet for a lack of funds but now that I have a job, I think this will change. I have a friend who gets food through them and is SUPER pleased with them and their food.. Anyway, just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wen, Have I never given you our granola recipe?! I'll send it sooner or later. Its so easy, its full of whole food goodness and its usually stuff you have on hand. It makes a large Ziploc bag full so you'll have it for a while! No more unpronouncable granola ingredients for the Happy, Healthy Hutches!

    ReplyDelete