Sunday, August 15, 2010

This is tough

This weekend we had my parents' into town. I think the only truly organic thing I ate was organic all natural mustard that I bought last week. And some fresh fruit, but that's nothing new. Oh well, it's a start....

Tomorrow is my first day back to work, and at a new job. While I've thoroughly enjoyed the laziness that comes with having the summers off, I think it will be good to get back into a routine of some sort.

Last week I perused the "organic" aisle (there were 3 tiny aisles in my local Kroger) and was shocked at the prices of some - well, most - of the food they had. It's literally double the cost! I really think this whole process would be much easier (and more cost effective) if I lived near a Trader Joe's, or even a Whole Foods. In the meantime, I got some great locally grown veggies and have been working them into my meals. I made a Ribbon Salad last week with zucchini, squash and carrots. I cheated and used a dash of italian dressing instead of the suggested lemon/olive oil concoction. It was actually delicious! Those are 3 veggies that I really like.

This week's endeavor is going to be baba ganoush - which is basically egg plant and hummus. (sidenote: I tried making my own hummus at home once and it was a waste of both time and money - way cheaper and easier, and tastier, to buy some) I got purple and white eggplant at my co-op this week, so any recipe suggestions would be appreciated. I have no idea what to do with the stuff but wanted to try it.

Wish me luck, I'm going to check out the newer Kroger in our area tomorrow night, I hear they have a better "organic" section....peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment