Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for


C is for Candy, Coffee and Cats...

I grew up with a cat named Shadow. She was all black and was really a great pet. Typical, as far as cats go - she wanted to be pet on her time, didn't like to be picked up, and attacked your feet if you walked by too closely. I have a fond memory of her when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I kept poking her nose and she looked like she was smiling at me, so I kept it up. She returned the favor by scratching me clear across my face.


As far back as I can remember, we had cats in our house. There was Patches, Kitty and then Pepper.


About 3 or 4 years ago on a routine trip to PetSmart, I visited the section where they have cats from local shelters. That's where I met Cat.


This was the day we "adopted" her (05/07/2008)


We tried coming up with a really great name for Cat, but nothing stuck. It wasn't until we had to take her to the vet and they asked for her name that we had to come up with something permanent. I was embarassed to call her "Cat" so I said the first thing that came to my head - "Penny!" (We had just been listening to "Penny Lane" by the Beatles in the car). So now when the vet calls about Penny I forget and tell them they have the wrong number. It's a problem. So Cat has learned to get along with both of the dogs, and even plays with Samson from time to time. Surprisingly, she allows him to help clean her. It's a strange little relationship they have. Maggie, on the other hand, feels that she has to patrol Cat's every action and barks when she does something that Maggie deems inappropriate (i.e. scratching the carpet, etc.)


Here are Cat, Maggie and Samson in their favorite spot - looking out the window.

Cat enjoys cuddling, purring, and chasing hair ties around the floor. She is a joy to have around, and Andrew puts up with her in spite of his allergies, and I think we all appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment